Page:Student Advice Centre


The Student Advice Centre will continue to advise and support students throughout this unprecedented Coronavirus situation. Our advisers are working remotely whilst the SU Building is closed. We will be providing advice and representation via email, phone and google meet, as we can no longer offer in person appointments.

If you are in need of advice we would ask that you first consult our website content. We have a large amount of information and self-help guides available here and many issues can be resolved in this way.

For questions directly relating to the Coronavirus, please visit See SU guidance in relation to coronavirus. This includes frequently asked questions written by our advisers which cover housing, money, immigration and welfare issues.

If you have academic issues relating to Coronavirus and online teaching, which cannot be resolved by your department, please email and one of our academic advisers will get back to you. You can also check the University's Coronavirus incident pages. These are these are being updated regularly.

If you require further assistance you should email, please provide as much information as you can about your issue. Your enquiry will be allocated an appointment slot with an appropriate adviser. The adviser will provide advice via email or offer of a telephone appointment, google meet as appropriate. We aim to respond within 5 working days.

We are an independent, confidential professional advice service regulated by Advice Quality Standard.


Housing Advice

Make yours a Smart Move

The Students Union believes that it is important that all students and their families should have a safe, affordable and happy place to live.  Being informed about your rights as a tenant and understanding the Sheffield Student Housing market can help avoid problems and save you money. We also know that sometimes things do go wrong and when it does, this can have a serious impact on your studies and well being.  So here is some useful information and advice to help you, whether you are looking for, living in or leaving your accommodation. If you need further help you can contact and get one to one advice from a Housing adviser.

Also look out for the Students' Union's Smart Move campaigns, Housing Fair and the Welfare Committee's Housemate Finder events.




Data Protection

How we look after your information

In order to provide a quality service, we keep a record of all enquiries. This is so that we can check the advice we give and monitor how the service is being used. Our records may also be audited to make sure that we are doing our job properly.

All information is kept securely and confidentially. We will not give out any information about you without your permission. If you don’t want us to keep your information, please tell the adviser.

We will ask for your student number so that we can look at who is using the advice service and the issues that students come to the service with. This information will never be presented in a way that you could be identified and the details of your case will never be seen by the person looking at the information.

If you do not want your personal information to be looked at in this way you can request that your case be recorded anonymously.

For more details on how we look after your information, please see our Data Protection Policy on the Union website or at Reception.


SAC Complaints

The main aim of the Student Advice Centre is to provide a high quality, professional, free and confidential advice, support and representation service to all University of Sheffield students.

If you have any comments or suggestions about the service provided by the Student Advice Centre you can speak to any of the staff in the Student Advice Centre or to the Welfare Officer in the Students’ Union Sabbatical Office. You can also submit feedback here.